CMR Consultants has vast experience working with hotels in many diverse countries all over the world.
We have a detailed understanding of where energy and water is used, the factors influencing it and the measurement and Key Performance Indicators needed to evaluate efficiency and identify solutions. We have developed a bespoke Hotel toolkit to streamline site audits and support energy and water efficiency opportunities and recommendations.
In recent years we have worked with a global luxury hotel chain in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, auditing over 160 Hotels and identifying, on average, 31% energy savings and 21% water. More recently we carried out energy and water audits at another luxury hotel chain in Sri Lanka with similar results. In both cases we worked to a challenging and complex brief, with clearly defined goals and objectives. The site level audits were carried out to ASHRAE standards, as specified by the clients. Our audit process has been refined over the years, but follows some key principals:
- Initial hotel review; to understand culture and values, employee, contractor and sub-contractor roles and responsibilities, governance and policy/legislative framework;
- Detailed energy and water analysis, including regression analysis of significant energy consuming plant, equipment and services including boilers & CHP, Chillers, Air Handling Units (AHUs), Laundry Systems, Leisure Facilities and catering.
- Walk round survey; to agree key focus areas with the chief engineer;
- Detailed audit; including actual performance measurement of lighting, motors and drives, chillers, boilers, AHUs, Laundry Systems, sewage treatment plants, water treatment plants and water flow-rates. We also carried out studies of controls from room key operation to evaluation of the BMS software strategies;
- Post-audit de-brief; to discuss the findings of the audit with the hotel management and/or owners;
- Detailed reports; two reports are produced; a detailed technical report for the engineering team; a summary report for the GM and FD. The detailed report included description and operation, analysis (including energy and water mapping), recommendations (low/no cost; CapEx and renewables) and next steps;
- Audit review meeting; To formally review the audit findings with the Hotel team and agree next steps.
CMR can provide a host of follow-on services including:
- Automatic metering, monitoring and targeting;
- Detailed feasibility studies;
- Site Support and project management;
- Measurement and verification of savings;
- Demand-side management;
- Legislative compliance;
Our preference is to work with Hotel chains at a strategic level to ensure audits and more importantly, the audit recommendations are carefully co-ordinated and programmes developed to ensure a cost-effective and operationally efficient delivery. We also stress the importance of having a robust measurement and reporting framework in place to verify that the level of savings identified in the audit are realised.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com, or call on +44 (0)844 225 1166 to speak to one of our senior energy and water consultants.